Those hard working purveyors of ‘Jamaican RocknRoll’ known as ‘The Slackers’, have been in existence for a quarter of a century now. This band, which started out rehearsing in a dingy basement on the lower east side, has gone on to become a legendary touring group and has been playing over a 100 concerts a
year since 1997.
As of 2015, the Slackers have played in 46 American states, 7 Canadian Provinces, 23 European Countries, 5 Latin American nations, and 2 Asian countries. In the last 2 years, they have played everything from large festivals like Punk Rock Bowling and Fest to midsize concert halls like the El Rey, Bell House, Lee’s Palace, plus a few intimate private parties thrown in for good measure!
Beginning in New York City in 1991, The Slackers have developed their signature sound that mixes together Jamaican Reggae and Ska rhythms with Anglo-American RnB, Blues, and Garage Rock. Bandleader, Vic Ruggiero, coined this blend as ‘Jamaican RocknRoll’, to describe a sound similar to what the Rolling Stones would have sounded like if they grew up on as much Bob Marley and the Skatalites as they did Howling Wolf and Bo Diddley.
The Slackers will be starting their 25th anniversary celebration with a new album simply self titled, ‘The Slackers.’ If Jamaican RocknRoll is the Slackers trademark sound, this new album might be know as ‘Psychedelic Jamaican Rock N Roll.’ The influences of ‘Pet Sounds era’ Beach Boys, ‘Sgt Pepper era’ Beatles and other 60s rockers are prominent in the blend. ‘The Slackers’ release date is Feb 19th, 2016. It is being released independently on their own Special Potato label after a successful crowdfunding campaign on www.bigtun.es. The album is being co-distributed in the United States by Rare Breed Records, in Europe by Brain Lab Groove, and in Japan by Just A Record. It will also be available online on Spotify and Pandora.
Over the course of the year, the band will continue the celebration by doing rotating blocks of tunes from all 15 of their original albums in their live sets and developing special theme shows. They will also be taking part in Floggin Molly’s Salty Dog Cruise, The Rebellion Festival, and the BoomtownFestival.
The Slackers are currently booking 100 tour dates for 2016 in North America, Europe, Japan and beyond! The Slackers want you to be a part of their 25th anniversary tour!
• Slim’s is an ALL AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.