Legendary Texan artist Terry Allen occupies a unique position straddling the frontiers of country music and visual art; he has worked with everyone from Guy Clark to David Byrne to Lucinda Williams, and his artwork resides in museums worldwide.
Widely celebrated as a masterpiece – arguably the greatest concept album of all time – his spare, haunting 1975 debut LP Juarez is a violent, fractured tale of the chthonic American Southwest and borderlands. Produced in collaboration with the artist and meticulously remastered from the original analog tapes, the May 2016 reissue is the definitive edition of the art-country classic: the first reissue on vinyl; the first to feature the originally intended artwork (including the art prints that accompanied the first edition); and the first to contextualize the album within Allen’s fifty-year art practice.
His deeply moving (and hilarious) satirical second album, a complex memory palace to his West Texas hometown Lubbock, is often cited as the urtext of alt-country.
Though Juarez has been compared to Willie Nelson’s Red Headed Stranger as one of the great country concept albums, Allen has little interest in any kind of movement, “outlaw” or otherwise. He’s always followed his own road. Grim, funny, epic and intimate all at once, Juarez belongs in a genre unto itself. – James Sullivan, Rolling Stone
Juarez was never just an album. Its lurid visuals and lucid poetry emerged simultaneously as an entire mythos, like something that fell out of a dream. – Robert Barry, The Quietus
• Slim’s is an ALL AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• There is an 8 ticket limit per customer unless otherwise stated.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.