“Kenyan funk master” – San Francisco Chronicle
“Think of the well-constructed yet laid-back neo-soul of rock quintet Townhall, with James Brown and Prince trading improvisations over the top.” -Jambase
The best of all possible worlds in World Music terms: uptempo, polyrhythmic, socially conscious (but not pedantic), strikingly melodic, and eminently danceable.” – San Francisco Bay Guardian
“Africa’s James Brown.” – Oakland Post
From San Francisco, Ca. P Funk Allstar RonKat Spearman is Authorized to play the Funk.
Katdelic, is a band that would fit perfectly in the line up for any club or festival. The project of a member of one of the most influential funk bands in history, led by Ronkat Spearman, their live show features two bass players, guitar, a horn section, DJ loops, keyboards and background singers. They make music that is a unique hybrid of rock, funk, soul, edm and pop. The resulting groove is infectious, futuristic and sophisticated, giving audiences an insatiable need to dance all night.
“RonKat Spearman is an artist with a dynamic stage presence,an amazing voice, solid playing skills, remarkable versatility and a foundation that will insure his future in the music industry for a long time to come” – FAD Magazine
Mangue Express (The Music of Chico Science)
Mangue is the word in the Portuguese language used to describe an ecosystem, the natural habitat of the Brazilian crabs with brains. Very widespread in the state of Pernambuco, northeast of Brazil.
The idea of the Crabs with brains is to leave the mud and invade the city, with new ideas in order to recycle this polluted environment.
One of the leaders of this movement, Chico Science, is the musical pioneer that joined the traditional sounds of Pernambuco( Maracatu, Ciranda, Côco de roda) with more contemporary genres like Rock , Funk and Hip Hop, creating a hybrid weapon to communicate the message of this insurgent force.
Chico and his band “Nação Zumbi” baptized their genre as “Manguebeat” or “Manguebit”, redefining the Brazilian airwaves in the 90’s and inspiring a whole generation, to use the power of ancient traditions, interconnected with modern technology to live a better life. As most warriors Chico died young, but his legacy lives on.
In the 21st century, crabs with brains can still be found in their battlefield, the city.
In the San Francisco Bay Area, the tradition of Maracatu is present in west Oakland, with the group “Maracatu Pacífico”, that in conjunction with Porreta Forró nights laid down the foundation for a new, fresh and local Manguebeat ensemble, “Mangue Express” that features the music of Chico Science and Nação Zumbi. An energetic, funky and tribal rock sound, that will make you revisit your primal self and intends to bring liberation for your mind and your body.
• Great American Music Hall is an ALL-AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• There is an 8 ticket limit per customer unless otherwise stated.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.