This fall, Shawn Colvin will hit the road with the A Few Small Repairs 20th Anniversary Tour. Her first major tour with a full band since the album’s original release, the seven-week cross-country jaunt runs from September 30 through November 19 and will showcase Shawn performing the album in its entirety alongside a variety of hits, personal favorites and surprises from her repertoire. Multi-instrumentalist-singer Larry Campbell & his wife singer-guitarist Teresa Williams will support all dates in addition to appearing in the band.
“One of the joys of my career was making A Few Small Repairs,” said Shawn Colvin. “From inception to completion, the project was graced with joy and creative ease. Even the last minute push to finish ‘Sunny Came Home,’ which went through many lyrical incarnations, worked out thanks to the cover painting by Julie Speed. I’ll be thrilled to play that song forever, and am equally thrilled to be performing the whole album on tour this fall with my band. Come one, come all!”
By the time that A Few Small Repairs and “Sunny Came Home” catapulted her into the pop mainstream Shawn Colvin was already a well-established recording artist and touring performer with a resume of accolades. Her 1989 John-Leventhal-produced debut, Steady On, had taken home the Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album and subsequent releases Fat City (1992) and Cover Girl (1994) each multiple-categories nominees.
A Few Small Repairs, reunited her with producer/cowriter John Leventhal (who’d helmed Steady On) and proved a watershed in the artist’s career and musical evolution. While her previous albums were founded mainly upon first-person confessionals, A Few Small Repairs saw Colvin foray into third-person storytelling with a powerful impact. Drawing from the downs and ups of her own life experiences, Shawn Colvin crafted an album of emotional complexity, nuance and revelation, combining images of traditional femininity and domesticity–wedding gowns, kitchens, white picket fences–with images of tools as metaphors for reparation.
The album paints a searingly honest portrait of the scope of human relationships, from the acrimonious “Get Out of This House” to the wistful “The Facts About Jimmy,” a duet with Lyle Lovett, to the quiet resignation of “Wichita Skyline” to Sunny’s ultimate act of revenge in “Sunny Came Home.” With brutal honesty, Colvin examines the harrowing potential for emotional damage to the redemptive power of subsequent emotional redemption.
The Los Angeles Times called A Few Small Repairs “an effective sharing of an experience both personal and universal.” Entertainment Weekly gave the album an “A” rating, praising it as “a declaration of independence… Full of wisdom and ravishing melodies, Repairs is a tour de force that needs no fixing.”
Colvin and Leventhal triumphed at the 1998 Grammy Awards, when “Sunny Came Home” won both Song of the Year (a songwriting award shared by Shawn and Leventhal) and Record of the Year. A Few Small Repairs was certified RIAA Platinum on March 31, 1998.
Shawn Colvin – Meet & Greet Upgrade (Seat ticket NOT included)
- VIP early access into the venue
- Exclusive meet & greet with Shawn Colvin
- Personal photograph with Shawn Colvin
- Private and intimate pre-show acoustic performance by Shawn Colvin
- Q&A with Shawn Colvin
- Collectible tour poster autographed by Shawn Colvin (numbered, limited print)
- Specially designed Shawn Colvin tote bag
- Official meet & greet laminate
- Commemorative ticket
- Limited availability
To purchase, click here.
For questions or more information, please contact email@example.com.
• Great American Music Hall is an ALL-AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• There is an 8 ticket limit per customer unless otherwise stated.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.