To everything there is a season. For Paul Kelly, it’s time to get the electric guitar out of the case again. And make one of the most powerful albums of his career.
That’s Life Is Fine, where Kelly fires up with a band of long-time musical friends, captures all the excitement of them playing live in the studio, and delivers a record that crackles with an energy reminiscent of his finest ’80s recordings.
There are songs with an R&B groove like the sizzling opener, Rising Moon, jumping rockers like Firewood and Candles and Rock Out on the Sea and fun songs like Leah: The Sequel. The humorous tunes contrast with another of Kelly’s exquisite songs of regret, Letters in the Rain, and the rich imagery at the heart of Petrichor.
Kelly agrees about the comparison with those albums he made with The Messengers like Gossip and So Much Water So Close To Home.
“I was aware of that as we were making it,” Kelly says. “The guitar riff at the start of Firewood and Candles is like a Sunnyboys song. Those kind of guitar lines, nothing fancy but really strong, are like the ones Steve Connolly used to play with The Messengers. I can see a lot of parallels to those records I was making then.’’
• Slim’s is an ALL AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• There is an 8 ticket limit per customer unless otherwise stated.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.